By: Hailey Clevenger, Feature Editor
- Aleppo is a city located in Syria which is in the Middle East. Since 2011, there has been a civil war in Syria but it didn’t reach the city of Aleppo until 2012. The war is being fought between the people who support the corrupt President, Bashar al-Assad regime and the rebels who are trying to get Assad out of the government and presidency.
- Russia is supporting the Syrian government as they “fight ISIS” and is a huge ally of Assad. This has caused both Russian and Syrian warplanes to destruct the Syrian city and cause a large amount of death. This has also caused issues between relations between the United States and Russia making it difficult for the United States to help the rebels.
- Pro-government fighters in Syria have been executing innocent civilian men, women, and children. At least half a million people have been killed since the civil war started.
- Western nations are wanting the UN to hold people accountable for what is happening but both Russia and China vetoed a resolution effort by the UN.
- The Syrian government has taken back areas of Aleppo that were previously controlled by Rebels and now Rebels only have control of a couple districts in eastern Aleppo.
- There are very few if any, doctors and medical buildings left in the city to care for innocent civilians who have been injured.
- It is hard for the United States to intervene without flying into Russian airspace. This could cause huge problems between two of the nuclear superpowers in the world.
Header Image: https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201607291043741993-aleppo-liberation-war-end/
Other Images: http://indianexpress.com/article/world/rebel-officials-say-aleppo-evacuation-plan-back-on-track-4427767/